Tuesday, September 21, 2010

License renewal time

I had to renew my driver's license yesterday. UGH! Besides the 5 hour wait in the office (I'm not kidding), there is now a whole new set of rules about what documents you need to bring with you. Thanks to Homeland Security. And all the prices doubled on the first of September.

They probably could have put more people behind the empty windows to speed things up, but that would have taken a job away from the guy whose whole purpose was to walk around with a stamp in his hand, or the lady whose job it was to check the fax machine every ten minutes. I really want a job there. I even tried to find one online today, but it seems there is no place to find a list of jobs at the DMV. I guess they don't need any more people walking around holding stamps.

I had to bring my original birth certificate or passport, and my original social security card, and two pieces of mail addressed to me at my house. No post office box address allowed on your license. If my name had changed, I would need my original marriage/divorce decree/court order. Luckily I had everything, though it took me a long time to find my social security card. I mean, who uses that thing anymore?

Supposedly this paperwork requirement is supposed to keep illegal aliens from getting driver's licenses, so now I guess more of them will just drive around without licenses or insurance. So that solved that problem.

Oh, well, at least I got my license (yes, the picture is crappy) and I don't have to deal with it for another eight years.

Cat

No comments: