Thursday, August 09, 2018

Working With Metals

For a while I've been wanting to expand my jewelry work from beading into working with metals. I got a kick in the rear when El Novio bought me a butane soldering torch for Christmas last year. The only problem was, I didn't know the first thing to do with it!

I played around, soldering little scraps of copper to each other, but nothing resembling jewelry. Then a kind friend of mine spent three days with me teaching me the basics of soldering and working with metal. Now I could really make jewelry!

Soon the butane torch wasn't enough and I bought myself a "big-girl" torch, the Orca EZ Torch, which uses a propane tank and draws in oxygen from the air. Then I took a few workshops at Jewelry Creations Workshop in Miami. I could tell I was getting hooked on this hobby and wanted to learn more than I could through project oriented workshops.

I found out that there is a jewelry school in Miami, Miami Jewelry School, that offers real classes and can teach me everything I want to know about creating metal jewelry. I signed up for classes and I start school on August 20th.

I'm so excited to be embarking on this new endeavor! I'll be updating my blog frequently as I gain knowledge and new skills. Follow my progress while I'm in school and see all the new jewelry that I'll be making.

See you on the 20th to let you know how my first day goes!

Cat


No comments: