Thursday, October 22, 2009

A trip to the food bank

The other day I got really tired of always scrounging around in the fridge for Tara's leftovers, so I looked up the food banks in the area. There is a Helping Hands food bank just about ten minutes away, so I called them. They said I can come in any day between 11:30 and 12:30 and pick up a bag of groceries. I got directions, and the lady told me to "look for the line".

I thought that meant there would be a long wait, so I brought my current bead project and got there about 10:30. There was no line yet, so I sat in the shade under a tree and did my beading. The "line" didn't even begin forming until about 11:15, and by 12:00 there was no more line, so that's one lesson learned for next time.

The lady told me they'd give me a grocery bag today, and I have to go back on the 28th with my bills and stuff to qualify. I actually got two bags, because there is one bag already made up by the bank, and then there is lots of fresh produce to go through and fill up a second bag. You also get a hot lunch served on the day that you are there.

I was really happy with it. The produce was great; grapes, strawberries, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes. And the pre-packed grocery bag had all kinds of canned veggies, tuna fish, those Lipton noodles side dishes, granola bars, instant oatmeal, tomato sauce, spaghetti and bread. The kinds of things I would actually buy. And I think they had a freezer with meat in it too, because I heard a lady asking about it.

I wonder how often I can go? I guess they'll tell me that at my interview on the 28th. And I'll ask about the meat on that day too. I'll let you know how the interview goes.

Cat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel for ya' sweetie. I've been unemployed for over a year. Luckily, I've been getting the extensions and going to school.

I'm probably going to be flying down to spend some time with my Pop (in Delray Beach) - maybe we can meet up for lunch (I'll see if Robin can join us too).

Speaking of Robin, she posted the photo of your from the prom on facebook. We'd love to have you join us there - might help "lighten the load" having friends to lean on. In that picture, Robin, Linda Kornberger, you, Diane Combs, and Carol Rudine (along with all of your dates). Robin, Linda and Carol are all on facebook. C'mon over!! Your friends await.

Here's the link to the picture - hope you can see it.
http://www.facebook.com//photo.php?pid=2910170&id=788633231

Best way to reach me is via email at my personal email address: danjrus@yahoo.com

Eileen Sien