Friday, February 08, 2013

Crystal Cross

My friend's birthday was the other day, so I wanted to make her something special.  I've made a few dragonfly necklaces for my kids and other friends of mine, so I was going to make that for her.  She just isn't a dragonfly kind of person, though.

I decided to make her a cross.  I started as I usually do, searching the internet for a pattern, but I couldn't find anything that looked like the idea I had in my head.  That led to a novel idea...Why not make my own design?  LOL

It turned out to very easy and quite cute, if I do say so myself.    I picked out some beautiful Preciosa crystals and used cubic right angle weave. I embellished each end with more crystals so that they would be a little wider than the body of the cross, and then embellished between each crystal with a seed bead.  It only took a little over an hour to make it.

Here's how it turned out.

My friend loves it!  I also gave her a silver chain so that she can switch from the leather necklace to suit her mood.  (That's why the jump ring is so large)

I think I might make a few more in different colors for my ArtFire store.  If I stay with using the Preciosa crystals I can keep the price at a reasonable point.

I also made some hair dangles for myself, but I'm having a hard time getting a good picture of them.  I'll keep working on that and try to post them up in a few days.

Cat

No comments: