I did manage to do a little work with wire today. I had started working on these earrings from a tutorial by Pat Capostato a while ago, and I was itching to work on something so I thought I’d finish them up tonight.
I’m going to make them over again, this is just a practice pair, while I’m trying to get the “feel” of working with wire and doing different things with it. The bends in the wire aren’t very smooth and there are marks on the spiral from where I held it with my pliers while making it. (How do you hold a spiral to wind it without marking it? I couldn’t get a tight enough grip using nylon pliers.) And I took this picture right at my workspace, so having a bad photo doesn’t help.
They are a very pretty design, but aside from all of the mistakes, I feel like there is something just “off” about them and I can’t figure out what it is. I’m thinking that maybe I used a bead that was too big in relation to the dangle, so they look top-heavy, unbalanced. When I re-do them, I’m going to try with a smaller bead on top since the little dragonflies are so dainty. Maybe that will fix it and I’ll be satisfied. I’ll let you know.
While I was playing around practicing with spirals though, I found out that if I use a file straight across the top of a spiral it looks almost like it was hammered. But without the noise, LOL. Interesting. I don’t know when I’ll be able to use that little tidbit, but it’s filed away in my head for now.
I found a great website with some beautiful patterns. I’ll tell you all about it tomorrow. Have a great day!