Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The last straw

I've finally had it with the place where I get my oil changed. I've been going to the same place for years. A local Jiffy Lube. Why? I don't know.

It's one of those places where they're supposed to do a check-up, top off all your fluids, clean your windows, etc.

There have been many times when they didn't do the windows or vacuum. And times when if they did vacuum, they just worked around whatever was on the floor instead of moving it. Several times they didn't top-off my windshield cleaning fluid, and I had to ask them to do it. They have never put air in my tires.

They are too interested in trying to sell me everything under the sun. Every time I go there, they give me the spiel about how my dirty air filter is going to ruin the car's engine, even at times when I know I've changed it too recently to need replacing already. And their prices for any little thing are outrageous! The air filter, for instance, would cost $40 if I allow them to replace it. Come on, it's a $15 item, and it takes less than 5 seconds to drop it in there. That would work out to $9000 per hour for labor!!! Other simple items are just as expensive. And the staff is always surly, besides.

But, since I am such a creature of habit, I continued to go there.

Until now, that is.

I started having trouble with my transmission slipping last weekend. My brother looked at it, and it turns out that I was extremely low on transmission fluid. I admit, I should be checking it myself occasionally, but that is what I pay Jiffy Lube to do! I had my oil changed only 4 weeks ago, and they should have topped off my tranny fluid, or at the very least, told me that it was low. It's supposed to be one of the services that they claim is included in their "signature service". And I could not have lost a quart and a half of fluid in 4 weeks.

So finally, I'm going to do what I should have done a long time ago, and find another place to get my oil changed. A place that does what they promise.

Cat

No comments: