Tuesday, April 16, 2013

N is For Never Again

Have you ever worked on a project and then after finishing, said to yourself "I'm never doing that again!"?

I made the cutest little seahorse from a pattern by Ruth Kiel, and I don't know why but it was just a real pain to put together. The stitch is right-angle weave, which I'm very familiar with and I enjoy working with it. The way it's done is that you make one side of the seahorse, then you work the second side off of the first side.



Seems simple enough, right? But I had the hardest time locating the connecting beads for the second side for some reason.

What made me think about this today is that I wanted a small one to go with the bigger one, so I started to make another using size 15 seed beads. Even though I remembered it being a pain, I made this when I first started beading so I thought it was my inexperience at that time that had put me off this design.

Nope. It really is a pain to make and I ended up tearing it apart. No baby seahorse for me. I just don't know why it's so difficult. Ruth Kiel is a fantastic designer who writes very clear instructions. I've worked many of her patterns with no problem. I've made this little dolphin of hers in several different colors.


Have you ever done a do-it-yourself project that made you want to tear your hair out? 

*Ruth doesn't have her own website, but she sells her patterns through Sova-Enterprises if you want to try one. She has a large variety of animals, dolls, and other geometric shapes. You will love them!

Cat

4 comments:

HeatherL said...

Oh yes! I know the feeling of those projects. I force myself to complete them because I'm stubborn but by the time it's over, I'm swearing up and down that I'll never, ever, do that particular thing again!

Until I forget how much I hated it, of course.

Rowena said...

Making my own books is a pain I the arse! If at first you don't succeed and all that......I'd like to see a seahorse in blue and yellow x

Paula said...

Many times...I say never again! And then I do it again!

JoJo said...

I have blogged many times about my 'never again' projects. They are truly one of a kind. The dolphin is adorable!